The scenic route

So, there are two ways to get to my house, the straight route and the scenic route.

The only thing straight about the straight route is that it follows roads that are straight through neighborhoods of new construction. Pristine white vinyl fences, infant stick trees, and manicured, freshly landscaped yards. On this road, people are jogging for exercise, walking their dogs on leashes.

The scenic route winds down through the middle of the neighborhoods, golf course on one side, lake on the other. It weaves in and around older homes with character, mature trees, and a lot of yards that are grown and exhibit a little bit of country charm. Here, kids are playing with their friends, neighbors are talking to each other, drivers are waving as they pass each other, dogs are sniffing around back yards surrounded by hedges and little picket fences.

It sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. I almost always take the scenic route.

Last night as I was traveling home, I was thinking how long it always seems when you take the scenic route. It's about a mile from the main turn off and if you were to time it, it would only take two or three minutes to travel. But it seems like forever, like the longest part of the trip from Salt Lake. So anyway, I was thinking about this and how it's sort of like life, how it seems to take forever, but it's really supposed to be like the blink of an eye. But, that's about as far as I got in the analogy because then I got home.

So, I can't moralize it up for you today, but I thought I'd change the look of my blog anyway. As Sheriff always says, (at least he will when I make him), that's something to chew on.

Comments

Dan said…
As Jack Handey would say, "Sometimes you start on a project and you think, 'This is never going to be finished.' But then it is and you think, 'It wasn't even worth it.'"

I didn't say it was a good quote.

prelli
Amy said…
You know it wasn't until this Spring that I realized there were 2 ways to get to your neighborhood. I prefer the scenic route, too. and no, I don't just drive by your house all the time... haha we usually ride bikes that way to get to that awesome park by hardly any homes by your house!
Kristin Sokol said…
I can hear my fridge dripping water. Is that bad?
Kristin Sokol said…
Yes, there is something strange happening with my freezer. This is the kind of thing I should be putting on my facebook huh.

Popular Posts